MuseScore https redirect error …. fixed ….

I’ve been using an open-source program called MuseScore to compose and arrange music for about two months. It is free and THAT attracted me since the closest answer to writing and testing music (without a large group of expert instrumentalists) is to purchase Adobe Audition…which goes for ~$300. I’ve been using the software extensively…they recently upgraded from v1.3 to v2 (and now 2.0.2) which shows improvements but is still loaded with bugs. My arrangement of “Adagio for Strings” was ready for publication three weeks ago but something went wrong when I uploaded it…playback of the Lead Soprano part was off — the whole thing sounded awful, so…glad that I decided to test it 3x + 3 ways before promoting it on FB or LinkedIn, I pulled the file off their servers. My attempt to repair the file led to the file ITSELF becoming corrupted – leaving over 48 hours of careful, creative, technical work in shambles.

Recently I repaired “Adagio” to the point that I’m happy to upload it to MuseScore’s server even though the harmonies from subito piano to the end still need work. To do this, I had to decide which score to pull. The company limits users to five scores total ….after that a “pro” ($) account is required, so I pulled Aerith’s Theme aka “Flowers Blooming in the Church.”

A few days ago I encouraged a potential client to “check out my Web site” to see what I’m capable of in terms of design, content creation…all that good stuff…..so I ping my site for first time in about a week…the main page loads slowly (as it usually does) but this time it redirects to my logged-out musescore account and notifies the reader that “the requested page is not available.”

Looked all over for a solution -no dice. It only just occurred to me that by yanking “Flowers” I’d inadvertently forced the main page of this site to try to embed a score that doesn’t exist (not on the server my page is making a call to). Instead of posting a dead link it kills the whole page and makes this writer seem less than competent when trying to advertise alleged “IT skills.”

This was an example of KISS. Simple problem had a simple solution ….there was no need to FTP in the back door or comb-over PHP code…it was a matter deleting a dead link in “edit post” mode which a child is completely capable of.

I apologize if this site crapped out on you over the past few days.

Mea Culpa. Lo Siento.

As a test, let’s embed “Adagio” ….which I don’t expect to tear down anytime soon. So far, reviews included “Not Bad,” and “I like it.”Adagio for Strings v3 arr. Tapper by Tapper7

WP should have PHP avail in the codex to automatically clear or notify the admin of dead links & or impossible calls to embeds that no longer exist. Meh….’till then I’ll just avoid making the same mistake. For your benefit I ran four external audits of this Web site including one by a close associate to insure that a) it works b) the redirect is gone c) the site is SAFE (malware/adware/spyware free) —-know that it was MY ERROR and not the security of this site.

To end on a positive note – this site remains spam free for nearly nine months and has NEVER been compromised since it’s inception.
-t