This assertion appears in many subsequent posts. The scope of what you are about to read is massive and touches on every single aspect of what is wrong with the closed-system comprising the university, the city, the chamber of commerce, law enforcement, the media….Cal Poly generates a massive income stream for this system and w/in it…it is above the law. As a Senior++, I failed to provide the amount of research and coverage that Brian Gillis and his tragic death deserved.
I will NOT fail him or his memory again. What follows is the message. Patricia Gillis, Brian’s mother, sent to me yesterday. I actively avoided the city and the university for over a decade. Only in the last few days have I even checked in with online print media, one of which I was a staff writer and both of which I deplore. In my request for more information regarding the death, this is what she wrote to me using my contact form:
“Mr. Welke, I just came across your site today, 9-21-14. Thank you for posting the information regarding my son’s death at the hand of evil Sigma Chi brothers and Alpha Phi sorority sisters as well. This is a hard time for us right now as Brian’s birthday is Oct. 11th and he would be turning 32 this year. Also, Brian was on a USAir flight from Providence via Pittsburgh to San Diego on 9-11-2001. He called us about 2 hours after the WTC tragedy happened to let us know his plane was next for takeoff when Pittsburgh closed their airport. Being raised Irish Catholic and attending Catholic schools through high school, I often ask God why he did not take him then, instead of letting him die the way he did. We proved in our civil suit without a doubt who sold the GHB to the frat, David Seminsky, and who had mixed, Matt Heintz, and had it stored in his refrigerator well in advance of Brian consuming it. SLODA and SLOPD promised us they would make an arrest when the civil suit ended, which is the only reason we settled, but then they just continued to drag out the manslaughter statute. But, these punks can still be arrested for 2nd degree murder because the GHB and Gatorade was mixed ahead of time and they knew exactly what Brian was ingesting. We also proved that Brian did not know there was GHB in the Gatorade he drank, per Nick Potter. There is so much corruption involving Brian’s death. I hope you continue to keep Brian’s memory alive as well as all the other Cal Poly students who have died under suspicious circumstances and were brushed under the rug. As far as I am concerned, Cal Poly is a death trap more than most colleges. I have worked in education my entire career and am well versed with the ongoings of corruptions at the college level with frats and sororities. Also, the “red hand prints” that were painted over at Cal Poly is another major issue. I believe Dan Blackburn, along with a lawyer found out that Cal Poly, SLO at the time of Brian’s death had the highest rape crime rate of all the UC and State Universities in the state of California. Sidenote: Sigma Chi and Alpha Phi are brother/sister chapters on most college campuses in the U.S.”
Let’s pull the bullet points out—for your consideration:
- Gillis wants to know why God did not take her son on 9/11
- The dealer’s name is David Seminsky
- the man who mixed the faderade’s name is Matt Heinz
- The District Attorney LIED to Brian Gillis’ family-instead let charges cycle through a complex PC array*
- There is eyewitness testimony in open court from Nick Potter who stated that Brian Gillis didn’t know the drink was laced
- Potter’s words are almost indisputable-Perjury is a PC 118 Class D FELONY (4yrs-CDC)
- Gillis said her son’s death involves “so much corrpution”
- She said that fraternities and sororities are corrupt— based on her professional experience
- Cal Poly is characterized as “a death trap”
- The name of the fraternity is Sigma Chi that has a “sister” sorority Alpha Phi
- In my 1st draft of this featured post, I specifically remember a report on “Rape per unit capita” and that San Luis Obispo was #1 in California. I can’t remember if Dan Blackburn stopped by the Clear Channel Studio at 51 Zaca Ln. or if he called or emailed us, but at the time it was difficult to generate reports like that, he was one of a select few resposible journalists in town … in another post I mentioned that I had no contact information . If you are out there Dan…my name is Chris Welke, I was a staff writer at the “Mistake” Daily around 2001-2002 but did most of my reporting at 93.1, in 2004 I produced the morning news at KVEC and was a fill-in guest and/or call screener for “The Dave Congalton Show.”
- Re: Patricia Gillis’ statement:
1. I can’t read all the way through it without getting choked up.
2. I’m conflicted about whether or when/how her son may have passed on earlier and whether or not that is “better” but Brian Gillis died in an awful, run-down, decrepit and very dangerous place. I can verify this. Gillis died in the worst part of the “white-ghetto,” (Stenner Glen) with my awful studio located on the same block. The act itself occurred along California Street – “Fraternity Row” aka “Rape-Central.”
3. She ID’d the man distributing date-rape drugs and the name of the man who probably paid for it and made the infamous mixture that was the immediate Cause of Death in official reports. That’s what I want – NAMES. We finally know “who” this was IMPOSSIBLE to figure out when the story broke, my few sources close to the frats knew it was Sigma Chi but they all went on “a camping trip” the same day Gillis’ body was found. hmmmm…..
4. From the information I have, were I the DA, I would charge both under PC 192(b). Manslaughter is “the unlawful killing of a human being without
(b) Involuntary--“in the commission of an unlawful act, not amounting to felony; or in the commission of a lawful act which might produce death, in an unlawful manner, or without due caution and circumspection. This subdivision shall not apply to acts committed in the driving of a vehicle.” -(PC)
- This is a felony charge (4yrs-CDC) I’d select this as the most likely to yield a guilty verdict. We are now aware that a settlement was reached, indicating both men likely have criminal defense retained…as of this draft, the SLO District Attorney says the are stuck in the ID# and Classification phase needed to open a felony case and issue an arrest warrant.
5. Gillis asserts that both men can be charged under PC 188. “Such malice may be express or implied. It is express when there is manifested a deliberate intention unlawfully to take away the life of a fellow creature. It is implied, when no considerable provocation appears, or when the circumstances attending the killing show an abandoned and malignant heart…. (etc)” -PC
- Key description: “an abandoned and malignant heart” it is awfully poetic for the California penal code…to me it describes what happened. Because it is a Class A Felony I would NOT file charges under this because:
- 1. Guilty verdict probability reduced— heavier burden of proof on the state. The sentancing guidelines being “15 with an L”
2. If convicted they would be eligible for parole after 7 years…. THIS IS A BIG IF STATEMENT….it is better to be certain both are convicted on felony counts, where they will enter the CDC/Parole system which will ruin their lives. So where do we go from here? Ill be writing more stories and editing that massive amount of content I just generated to increase its value…The San Luis Obipso District Attorney is funded by the taxpayers of San Luis Obipso County, I am not one of them but I was from 1998-2004, I can almost guarantee there is no way to get ahold of and ADA’s but there is no reason NOT to pester them with emails and phone calls. My question is: “I was informed by the family of Brian Gillis that you are processing charges under Penal Code 192 for Matt Heinz and David Seminsky? Yes….why haven’t you filed charges yet…Brian Gillis died 10 years ago….yea….I understand that you can’t comment regarding an ongoing investigation can we please speak off the record this is a matter of some importance…..etc.” In abstract: are other cases involving suspicious death, agg-assault, 1st degree burglary, attempted murder, attempted murder with GBI, attempted murder with Gang Enhancements, (for US Attorney: kidnapping, tax-evasion) and sex crime also stuck in a some theoretical Penal Code ID/Class Loop? I call shenanigans on that. I’m not an attorney, but I see enough evidence already to issue warrants for the arrest of Heinz and Seminsky on suspicion of manslaughter, file 1 felony count of 192(b) against both and if any physical evidence of the drug exists an additional concurrent count of Felony sales (GHB) for Seminsky and felony possesion (GHB) for Heinz (HSC Section 11377)
- please visit The Brian Gillis Online Memorial
- This Web site is investigating this and other unresolved tragedies in and around Cal Poly San Luis Obispo. Contact me with any information. If you went to Cal Poly, if you’re a fellow alumni, if you work or worked there, associate professors, tenured professors, campus administration: YOU CAN TELL ME ANYTHING, OK? I’m not a cop….I’m your friend. We can heal the community, but we have to confront reality. Nobody will ever do it for you, nor will they do it for me, but together we can find truth-present it publicly-punish those responsible and put an end to it for good.